[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 15:47:03 PDT 2005

> jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > Unless of course the ILWU really wouldn't participate in something like this
> > and your email was just another shot at ChuckO. Rather than claiming the fact
> > that labor won't follow ChuckO is the real issue in this discussion why don't
> > you make the real issue helping people get this accomplished?
>
> I would really hope that labor not follow me. Workers need to organize
> themselves and they can figure out effective strategies by having
> ongoing discussions, debates and meetings. In fact, it appears that many
> union people are getting fired up about the bankrupt current system of
> top-heavy unions.
>
> Chuck0
> IWW member

By follow I only mean someone to coordinate and take a leadership roll in getting a strike against loading war equipment and munitions under way. It isn't going to spontaneously generate itself.

I wish I could say I was capable of doing it and had the contacts to pull it off but sadly reality dictates that this is not so. I know exactly one mid level union person who is a Teamster and while he is influential in the Teamsters to a degree he is far from opposed to the war. If I can't convince him the war is wrong how can I convince him to attempt something like this?

Everyone else I know are rank and file workers and I know damn few of them. I also don't believe I have the persuasive and motivational powers to make it happen. I'm not running myself down or trying to avoid taking an active roll but just being realistic. Not everyone can effectively do what it would take in this instance. I would gladly do what I could to assist.

I like the idea and think it could be very effective so I wouldn't care who lead the way towards making this a reality.

Where's Lacny's reply to my request that he do this? No shame in not being able to do it but he wrote as if he might be able to be influential in this matter.

John Thornton