[lbo-talk] An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 14 10:36:05 PDT 2005

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Waht specifically do you have in mind? It seems to me union workers
> should, in a manner of speaking, lead the way. Non-union workers are
> too easily dismissed from their jobs when attempting to do these things.
> The workers who have greater institutional protections from such abuse
> could do more in this area in spite of their smaller numbers in my
> opinion.

There have few instances in the history of the labor movement when long-established unions led the way in anything (except in support of their capitalist masters -- as the AFL-CIO being one of the major divisions in the cold war against communism). Unions are radical (for the most part) only during their period of formation, when their very existence is in doubt. It was, after all, the new CIO unions of the '30s that developed the tactic of the sit-down strike.

I expect very little from the AFL-CIO -- except perhaps bitter opposition to any new movement among non-organized workers.

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect dependence on organized labor is as fruitless as dependence on Chuck0's anarchist comrades.

Carrol