[lbo-talk] Canadian grits

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Sat May 14 10:51:32 PDT 2005

Todd Archer wrote:

>>I'm guessing from context that "grits" are the Liberals, but where does
>>that come from?
>
>>Doug
>
>Clear Grit Party
>

>Clear Grit Party. The name "Clear Grit" was applied in 1849 to a group, or
>wing, of the Reform party which was dissatisfied with the moderate policies
>followed by the Baldwin-Lafontaine administration, and particularly with
>its failure to deal with the questions of the Clergy Reserves, judicial
>reform, and financial retrenchment. The origin of the name is attributed to
>David Christie, who is reported to have said that only those were wanted in
>the party who were "all sand and no dirt, clear grit all the way through".

I understand that clear grit was the highest quality mortar ingredient used by Scottish-Canadian stone masons, thus the positive connotations. The handsome and solid 19th-century stone buildings in Ontario attest to the value of good materials...

M.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling get-togethers. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.