[lbo-talk] unemployment rate getting too low!

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Sat May 14 11:06:29 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>Autoplectic wrote:
>
>>Slowing the pace of job creation is not the same as increasing the
>>level of unemployment...............
>
>Sure it is, as long as the population is increasing. The thinking behind
>this is that the labor market has become too taut - i.e., there's not
>enough slack, i.e., unemployment is too low - which is pushing up wages.
>One problem with this theory is that it's not direct pay that's pushing up
>unit labor costs (which are rising, and ULC lead inflation pretty
>reliably), but the cost of fringe benefits, meaning health insurance.
>
>It's a little odd to see this coming from Goldman, which is usually more
>"liberal" than other Wall Street houses.

What is Goldman trying to accomplish? Are you assuming that they are signalling their preferences to the Fed on monetary policy? Or are they simply warning their clients to expect higher short-term rates, with rising labor costs as the reason? In other words, are they practising normative or positive economics? I don't fully understand the feedback mechanism among the Fed and market players.

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.