[lbo-talk] Solnit, "puppeteer who thinks, " responds to activistism piece

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat May 14 22:32:12 PDT 2005

> <http://www.utne.com/pub/2004_126/promo/11447-1.html>
>
> We Are Thinking -- In New Ways
> -By David Solnit, Utne magazine
>
> I am a carpenter, an activist, and a puppeteer who thinks. The
> contributions in the book come from other grassroots intellectuals --
> immigrant farmworkers in South Florida, Critical Mass agitators in
> San Francisco, immigrant rights activists in Toronto, neighborhood
> assembly participants in Buenos Aires, European anticapitalist
> performance artists. These thinkers have replaced the professional
> intellectuals of past eras.

So one doesn't need libraries, or years of study, or a certain amount of free time, or usable data, or complex social theories, or a fair share of cultural and symbolic capital in order to understand a multinational capitalist world-system of 6.4 billion people, 50 trillion EUR annual output, 170 nations and a zillion cultures? Does theory grow on trees or something?

> The era of monolithic ideologies is over.

But not the era of monolithic capitalism, which in its multinational phase, grows ever more integrated.

Solnit will probably dismiss this as the sour grapes of a well-heeled prof with tenure. Ha. I'm an unemployed intellectual, I've spent five miserable years trying to find even the shittiest of teaching jobs, and failing, because there are no goddamn jobs to be had anymore. And I have to say this: the covert anti-intellectualism and hostility I get from the academy is mirrored by the overt one of self-appointed activistisms. It's the same story -- we're redundant labor, our cognitions and abilities are not needed, etc.

I don't blame him personally - he's probably had some bad experiences with do-nothing academics. But we Leftists (whatever that means these days) have got to stop assembling circular firing squads.

-- DRR