[lbo-talk] prostitution

Eliyanna Kaiser eliyannakaiser at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 12:58:55 PDT 2005

LBOers:

I just finished skimming the archives of this list to find out more about the recent flurry of activity around the subject of prostitution which Doug alerted me to.

Ugly stuff.

I'm one of the editors of $pread magazine who Doug profiled on his radio program a month or so ago. If people on this list want to discuss these issues more, I'm here and willing to engage with **civil** conversation on the subject; I won't respond to abuse.

I think there's some serious nuance missing in the threads I viewed. $pread isn't a "happy hooker" publication. It aims to truthly illuminate the sex industry: glory and warts. It aims to provide sex workers themselves with voice. It is clear (probably acutely to those on the list right about now) that sex workers are often spoken for by rather opinionated loud-mouths whose opinions tend to be based on misinformation, their own moral system, cultural stereotypes, or attempts by any number of folks to imagine a reality that fits their pre-conceived political analysis.

Alors, si vous avez le desire, repondez...

eliyanna, $pread magazine