[lbo-talk] The Uzbek tinderbox

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 07:21:36 PDT 2005

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote: But I'd like to riff on this for a moment and ask, in light of all we know about US actions in the past and the way its conducting this *war on terror* (in quotes because I wonder, how can you wage a war against a tactic nearly anyone, even my peg legged grand mama, can use at any given moment?) isn't it reasonable to assume that perhaps Karimov is precisely the sort of ally Washington believes it needs?

---

I don't know what Washington believes it needs, and maybe it thinks Karimov is doing a good job, or as good as possible under the circumstance, but Uzbekistan is on the verge of collapse. It could wind up like Chechnya or Afghanistan, a kind of Islamist version of Road Warrior. I don't see how that would be in US interests. (cui bono? Nobody but Talibs.)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail