[lbo-talk] New Al Qaeda plot to kill Musharraf foiled

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 16 15:15:14 PDT 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

> --- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> *"Love me, I'm a liberal." "Love me, I cheer for the
> right team in
> X-land."
>
> ---
>
> I realize you think everybody is an American, but both
> KJ and I live in "X-land."

Read my post and quote the whole thing. Clearly the inhabitants of X-land _may_ make a difference. No opinion of mine (or of any other american outside the power structure) can make a damn bit of difference in Pakistan. I can hope to affect the u.s. government negatively; perhaps in the future we on the left can affect the u.s. government in positive ways. But you are deliberately blinding yourself to reality if you think the opinion of any u.s. subscriber to lbo can make a damn bit of difference in Chechnya or Pakistan.

I have opinions where there is at least an abstract possibility that sometime that opinion would make a difference. You remind me of the mad astronomer in Rasselas.

Carrol