[lbo-talk] India may launch Russian satellites

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon May 16 15:51:05 PDT 2005

The Hindu

Sunday, May 15, 2005

India to launch Russian satellites

Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW: India may launch Russian satellites for a global navigational system next year, a Russian space chief said on Friday.

Accord

The launch will take place under an Indo-Russian accord on the joint use of the Russian satellite communication system, GLONASS, signed in December during Russian President Vladimir Putin's visit to India.

Agreement finalised

Deputy Chief of Russia's Federal Space Agency Roskosmos, Alexander Medvedchikov, said India and Russia were finalising an agreement on the legal framework for bilateral space cooperation.

Space programme

Mr. Medvedchikov said Russia was likely to take part in India's space programme, including manned flights and joint construction of new satellites.

"Our cooperation has made big strides recently and we are discussing a whole range of possible joint projects," Medvedchikov told The Hindu .

"Both sides are keen to expand bilateral cooperation."

The Roskosmos chief said India's space programme was progressing "at a high pace" and Russia can not only share with India its expertise but also learn from India.

Copyright © 2005, The Hindu.