[lbo-talk] Re: Greenwashing (Jared Diamond thread)

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 06:12:38 PDT 2005

Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

Diamond is like a swimmer who competes in a race using only one arm. 'In caring for the health of our surroundings, just as of our bodies,' he writes at one point, 'it is cheaper and preferable to avoid getting sick than to try to cure illnesses after they have developed' – which sounds wise, but is simply misleading bombast. Technology brings out the worst in him. At one point he claims that 'all of our current problems are unintended negative consequences of our existing technology,' to which I felt like shouting in exasperation that perhaps at some times, in some places, a few of the unintended consequences of our existing technology have been beneficial. Reading Diamond you would think our ancestors should all have remained hunter-gatherers in Africa, co-evolving with the native flora and fauna, and roaming the wilds in search of wild berries and the occasional piece of meat.

I've read about a third of _Collapse_ and this bit really mischaracterizes the tone of the book (so far). Why the hell is it so hard to point out any problem with some technology without getting branded a Luddite?

Andy