[lbo-talk] Soviet Union had plans for first use of N-weapons in Europe

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue May 17 06:33:23 PDT 2005

> http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/
> http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_17-5-2005_pg7_41
> Soviet Union had plans for first use of N-weapons in Europe
>
> By Khalid Hasan
>
> WASHINGTON: The Soviet Union had plans to attack Western Europe that
> included being the first to use nuclear weapons, according to a new
> book of previously secret Warsaw Pact documents published at the
> weekend.

Two observations:

1. It is very interesting that such "findings" start to emerge out of Washington just when the US unilateralism and militarism make it more likely for the EU and Russia to cooperate to thwart the US aggression. Coincidence? I do not think so.

2. In organizational behavior, plans doe not mean intention - contrary to what various propaganda mouthpieces want us to believe. Making various contingency plans is the raison d'etre of organizations - but it does not mean that those plans are meant to be actively pursued. It means that organizations have an action plan for every possible contingency, so they are not caught off guard. For the same reason, the USPS developed a contingency plan for mail delivery after a 'nucular' attack on the US.

Wojtek