[lbo-talk] Fwd: REVEREND BILLY

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 17 09:22:01 PDT 2005

Leigh Meyers wrote:

>I believe Karl M never observed a Dolce&Cabana or Gucci ad, or knew
>the meaning of predatory advertising directed at children, or had
>experienced "food" that just looks like food, with a nutritional value
>below cardboard.
>
>Although he probably had observed the arrogance of people
>who believed they were "...cultured to a high degree".

You must have missed the bit that Mandel quoted from Marx, about the civilizing function of capital, or the distinction he made between "the justified condemnation of the commercialization and dehumanization of consumption by capitalism to attack the historical extension of needs and consumption in general (i.e., moves from social criticism to a critique of civilization)...."

And I think D&G and Gucci make some beautiful stuff. What's wrong with a lovely shoe?

Doug