[lbo-talk] Work-to-Rule for All Workers

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 10:53:42 PDT 2005

Right, and you can sue, but it's time-consuming and uncertain. Byw you are likely to get fired if you try to organize a union -- last I heard, your chances were about 50%, probably higher. Union busters admit that they advise compnaies to violate the LMRDA (the basic labor law, aka the NLRA, but with other stuff added) as a matter of policy because the NLTB has no teeth (no punitive damages powers, unlike with the Civil Rights Acts and anti-discrimination laws), just the power to order reinstatement (five years later after the Court of Appeals gets through with it), back pay, and cease-amd-desist orders. So violation of the labor laws is part of the cost of doing biz for a lot of businesses.

My unscientific observation is that comonaies hate to be cited for serious OSHA violation with trivial penalties, but don't care about the labor laws. Any theories why?

Btw, within their limitations and especially since GHW Bush's 1991 CRA Amendment made jury trials and punitive damages available, a half-meritorious employment discrimination lawsuit will scare the boss, even though he wins 80% of the time.

jks