[lbo-talk] Soviet Union had plans for first use of N-weapons in Europe

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 11:47:22 PDT 2005

Overposted...Justin, never heard of Mastny. C'mon, look at Diplomatic History?

Clare Spark, who was a "marxist-feminist" programmer at Pacifica Radio station KPFK in the 80's, said to me a while back, that when she went to grad school at UCLA in the 90's and actually started reading Cold War history, including Mastny, she changed her mind from the pwoggie bromides. Russia's Road to the Cold War by Vojtech Mastny The Cold War and Soviet Insecurity The Stalin Years Vojtech Mastny Oxford U.Press. [This book offers] a peerless account of [Stalin's] blunders in foreign affairs....Mastny presents the most informative and richly documented account we have of Stalin's dealings with Mao Zedong, Kim Il Sung, Josip Broz (Tito), and lesser Communist leaders, based on communications drawn from previously inaccessible archives."--American Historical Review The New History of Cold War Alliances The New History of Cold War Alliances Vojtech Mastny In Journal of Cold War Studies Volume 4, Issue 2 / Spring 2002

One of your faves on this vol. "[T]his invaluable volume illuminates not only the 'inside history' of the Warsaw Pact, but, as reflected in that story, the history of Soviet-East European relations." William Taubman, Amherst College, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Khrushchev: The Man and His Era

By Byrne>... The Chronology : The Documented Day-By-Day Account of the Secret Military Assistance to Iran and the Contras by Malcolm Byrne (Editor) Paperback - June 1987