[lbo-talk] Fwd: REVEREND BILLY

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 17 13:23:57 PDT 2005

> jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> >Isn't it the class signifier component of the Gucci shoe Leigh is objecting
>
> I don't know - you'll have to ask him. I've certainly run into lots
> of leftists and countercultural types who proudly wear anti-chic
> clothing on principle.
>
> > rather than the shoe itself? With a bit of practice I could make a
> >beautiful and comfortable shoe that could be profitably sold for 1/4 the
> >price of the Gucci in most instances.
>
> Right above your comment was this quote from Mandel:
>
> > > "the justified condemnation of the commercialization and
> >> dehumanization of consumption by capitalism to attack the historical
> >> extension of needs and consumption in general (i.e., moves from
> > > social criticism to a critique of civilization)...."
>
> Is it really that hard to grasp this distinction?

Not difficult to grasp but you also objected to Leighs condemnation of Gucci shoes not beautiful shoes. Leigh may object to fashionable footwear, I don't know, but his objection as I read it was of Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana not lovely shoes and handbags. He was wrong in thinking Marx didn't address this issue but correct in picking Gucci as an example.

John Thornton