[lbo-talk] FBI Subjected Protesters To 'Pretext Interviews'

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue May 17 22:02:42 PDT 2005

Chuck0

> Protesters Subjected To 'Pretext Interviews'
> FBI Memo Shows No Specific Threats
>
> By Dan Eggen
> Washington Post Staff Writer
> Wednesday, May 18, 2005; Page A04

> Another memo from December 2004 indicated that Sarah Bardwell, one of
> the Denver activists singled out for interviews, was targeted because
> she had helped organize an antiwar protest and was a member of a group
> called Food Not Bombs, which the memo characterized as having a "close
> association" with a radical anarchist group.

<...> Bardwell, 21, who helped organize antiwar protests on behalf of a local chapter of the American Friends Service Committee, said she had no plans to attend either of the political conventions and was troubled by the FBI's attempt to interview her and her friends. None of the activists consented to the interviews.

"It's very clear to me that the purpose of those interviews was to intimidate activists in the Denver area from exercising their First Amendment rights," she said. <...>

I've always worked on the assumption that they already know the answers to the questions they ask. If one assumes that scenario, then they weren't even "interviewing", they were just "saying hi from occifer(sic) friendly" and getting a closer in look at everything without bothering with silly little matters like warrants and court orders.

Food Not Bombs is very active here... The feeding part. 3-4 meals weekly, served on the fly, and delivered to location by pedal power. Some clashes in regard to feeding locations(

They like downtown in the shopping district, but they compromised with 2 downtown and 2 in the park.

Odwalla, the local juice company, used to donate lotsa juice, until Coca Cola bought them out. Even still, one of the original owners shows up once a week with a couple of cases and hands them out.

Fuck Corporations

Leigh