[lbo-talk] Housing bubble? Sure!

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 18 00:02:08 PDT 2005

Funny thing that housing bubble. Went for a walk around the block today. I live in a kind of gray area of Oakland -- the hood begins about four blocks south of my apt bulding; my immediate area has become the staging ground for east asian immigration: they all buy houses, pave the yard, fence the property and work 20 hours a day; another half mile north, respectability starts.

So, I'm walking around the block and I notice a house for sale. There's a poster with info stuck to the front lawn. It's a kind of good sized wood slatted dog house -- 3 bedrooms 1 bath, no charm, no facade, crappy paint, a few square feet of back yard, no front yard, the kitchen looks like a train corridor. Asking price is $499,000.00 As Is. That's half a mil, folks. The headline in today's Oakland Tribune is "The Advantages of Interest-Only Loans."

Housing Bubble? What Housing Bubble?

Joanna