[lbo-talk] Galloway to Senate: FOAD

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 06:52:43 PDT 2005

John Lacny:

If you didn't get a thrill from watching him tell the US Senate to go fuck themselves, you don't have blood in your veins.

======================

No doubt.

It was indeed a bad ass performance.

I don't know very much about George Galloway; I'm sure some listmember within the virtual sound of my voice knows a great deal more and, if the spirit moves her/him, will share some hero halo shattering details.

Which is just as well I suppose.

But right now I'm wondering precisely what was so riveting about it (besides the obvious drama). What was so satisfying about watching Galloway stare down those dangerous idiots?

I think it was something very simple: the breaking of the American taboo (perhaps something we learn from the relentless compromises made during work life) against calling bullshit by its right name.

If you write an essay about War Plan Iraq for wide publication, you can't directly say the Bush administration made shit up on the one hand and exaggerated shit on the other to launch an illegal war that's brought chaos and death to many people. You have to honey glaze it to make that rotten meat go down more easily.

You have to start your critical assessment by mentioning 'bad intelligence' and what's best for the 'War on Terror' and how brave everyone is and how everyone has our best interests at heart, even if 'mistakes were made'.

You have to become, in other words, a part, to some extent, of a bullshit production and reinforcement system -- even if you're in opposition to that system. Marx told us how capital melts everything solid into air, restlessly changing the world, absorbing as much as possible into itself. Perhaps we need someone to describe how bullshit possesses a similarly awesome power, creating a reality distortion field that's almost impossible to escape, even if you know it's there.

Mr. Galloway dispensed with the 'with all due respects' and the benefit of the doubts and all the rest of it and went straight in like a heat seeking missile towards its target. The oil for food 'scandal' is a smokescreen to cover American failures, crimes and even larger scale thefts, to continue the UN bashing that plays so well in the sticks, and to provide our dangerous idiots with yet another opportunity to perform their simulation of moral fortitude and courage before television cameras.

You're not supposed to say these things.

He broke the rules for a few moments, deciding to become a hunter instead of meekly and respectfully accepting the scripted role of prey.

And that alone was worth seeing.

.d.