[lbo-talk] WSJ edit page: forget about that p. 1 story!

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed May 18 07:18:34 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Wall Street Journal - May 18, 2005
>
> CLASS STRUGGLE?
>
> For the Record Despite what you may read in the papers, the American
> Dream is alive and well.
>
> BY ALAN REYNOLDS
>
> Major newspapers are in the throes of Mobility Mania: who "makes it" in
> America, and why; who doesn't, and why not. The Wall Street Journal
> began a series last week titled "Challenges to the American Dream." The
> New York Times followed suit with a multiparter on "Class in America,"
> which aims to disparage the notion that the U.S. is a land of
> opportunity by claiming that "new research on mobility, the movement of
> families up and down the economic ladder, shows there is far less of it
> than economists once thought and less than most people believe."

I mentioned the NY Times feature on class to one of the older anarchists here in Kansas City and he started going off about how "we disproved that class mobility stuff back in the 1960s." He expressed dismay that more work by radicals in the academy were being ignored in favor of discredited social science.

Chuck0