[lbo-talk] Galloway to Senate

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 18 07:56:47 PDT 2005

Carl Remick:

"I've seen minimal coverage on TV and in print. E.g., check Slate's "summary of what's in the major U.S. newspapers" today -- not a word about Galloway's Senate testimony:"

British papers here have been transfixed in Galloway's headlights. Sticking it to the US Senate is very popular here. (If anyone has seen the patriotic rom-com Love Actually, you'll see the fantasy played out that the Blair-like Prime Minister decides enough is enough and sticks it to lascivious yank President - Billy Bob Thornton - to cheers from press pack and cinema audiences here. Of course Blair never did that, Galloway did). Maybe the references do not have the same resonance for you as they do for us, but the last time anyone ever noticed a senate hearing in the UK it was the HUAC, so Galloway's coded reference ('I have not now nor ever been') is intentional. For him it was a great challenge, but also a fantasy come true that he would have the opportunity to take the struggle into the belly of the beast. The British press are begrudgingly respectful of that:

On the other hand the Blair administration seemed to go into news management meltdown last night - Galloway upstaged the Queen's Speech (occasion for setting out domestic agenda, all a big law and order yawn) on ITV. Around 11 pm our time, suddenly Foreign Secretary Jack Straw turned up in Washington sharing a press conference with Condoleezza Rice. Presumably this had been planned before hand, but it looked suspiciously like a fire-fighting operation.

Galloway was already voted Parliamentarian of the Year before he was expelled from the Labour Party and then got himself re-elected on the far-left Respect ticket. His elan comes from the disintegration of the Labour machine that was supposed to stop him getting back into parliament, and from the overwhelming disillusionment with the British decision to back the war.

As far as I can see, there is no substance to any of the allegations, and it definitely provoked a British sense of fair play to hear that the Senators had assumed the right to pass judgement without ever having interviewed Galloway.