[lbo-talk] Housing bubble? Sure!

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed May 18 09:57:27 PDT 2005

joanna wrote:

> No, no. Apts are very cheap right now. All things are relative, but I'm
> looking for a place for my mom and 1bd/2bd can be had for
> 1000-1200/month. Every other building around Lake Merrit (a very nice
> area) has a for rent sign up.

Let me rub it in by pointing out that 1bd/2bd apartments can be found in Kansas City for $400-$500/month.

I'm working on a project with some comrades to set up a cooperative which will buy an apartment building and turn it into collective housing. We hope. The challenge right now is figuring out how to incorporate under the tax code. Then the big challenge will be figuring out a way to finance purchase of a building when most of us are poor and have bad credit records.

We've been looking at 3-story, 6 unit brick buildings which sell for $180,000 and up.

Chuck