[lbo-talk] Detroit Public Library

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 19 13:08:15 PDT 2005

Charles

What is your opinion of the Detroit Public Library? Is it great, mediocre, declining rapidly, well maintained? I've been to Detroit many times but never to the library. I have some research to do and was wondering if it was worth the trip up there or not. It's about a 12 hour drive. That sounds worse than it is in my opinion. Anything less than 18 is a piece of cake. I'm not finding what I need locally or through the interlibrary loan system within the state. I'm researching early industial foundry and machining processes and Detroit seems a good place for such information. I didn't find what I was hoping to in NYC's SIBL (it seemed mostly industrial relations rather than processes) so I figured Detroits Main Branch on Woodward (I didn't see a science and technology branch listed online) and the Benson Ford Research Center would be the next logical places. Foundry and machining process are what built Detroit is/was all about to a degree.

John Thornton