[lbo-talk] Getting Fired for Not Making Trouble (An Appeal to the U.S. Antiwar Movement)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 19 13:28:25 PDT 2005

> jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
> > How is having your life shortened by low wages worse than being fired?
> > Being fired is tangible TODAY. A shortened life is not. Doesn't getting
> > fired and losing your home shorten your life expectency? I would think
> > so.
> >
> > My hypothesis is that in spite of my attempts at unionizing activities I
> > would be unemployed and homeless TODAY of it weren't for the fact
> > that I inherited some money at exactly the right time to avoid losing my
> > home to the bank. Lucky doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.
>
> If there's one thing that I've learned from several periods of
> unemployment it's that if you lose your job you aren't homeless the next
> day.
>
> Chuck

By homeless I meant without a home, not living on the street. Maybe a poor choice of words? Maybe not? Moving in with family, while a distasteful option, is an option available to me nonetheless. This is not true of everyone however. My move towards "homelessness" was hardly in the space of a 24 hr period. I never wrote anything that would be construed as belief that this was generally true.

And since your experience is universal then no one needs to worry much about being homeless, right?

Behind in your rent? Bills piling up? Lose your job? Don't worry, Chuck sez no one becomes homeless overnight!

Besides people should lose their sick attachments to their stupid suburban homes filled with plastic crap and experience the liberation of a semi-nomadic existence, unencumbered with material shit. Moving from Moms, to a friends, to a siblings, then maybe a stint in a squat or a community living arrangement in an apartment. This will make organizing workers so much easier than if one had a steady job and a mortgage hanging over their head like the sword of Damocles.

John Thornton