OFFLIST Re: [lbo-talk] Poor Anders Aslund

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 03:04:51 PDT 2005

Dear Peter This is just an email from a loyal and grateful reader of Untimely Thoughts to say thanks for putting together such a useful resource. It is of more help to me in understanding today's Russia than reading through a dozen articles in JRL.

Actually, this email isn't just to thank you for Untimely Thoughts; it's also a request for an interview. I currently write for a magazine called Naked Punch, which is sold around London and also in Oxford and Cambri dge. It's a mixture of articles from graduate students and also prominent names from the worlds of philosophy, the arts and politics. For example, we have recently had articles by Simon Critchley and Arthur Danto, and the last issue carried an interview with the film-maker Wim Wenders.

However, there hasn't been much on the politics side, which is where you come in. A forthcoming issue has the theme of 'Russia'. I am proposing an interview with you on Russian 'current affairs'. This could take the form of your assessment of Putin's rule, his succession, the economy, the North Caucasus, foreign policy, how the world should co-operate with Russia, etc.

But since our readership may well be unversed in Russian current affairs, it might also contain your thoughts on Yukos, the commentariat and the future of the former Soviet space. I think our readers would find such an interview extremely thought-provoking, and would certainly change the way some of them think about today's Russia. I find it difficult to understand how people I talk to are very much against big business but suddenly become very sympathetic to the cause of Khordokovsky, and you would be the ideal person to challenge this knee-jerk viewpoint.

If you are interested in being interviewed, we would need to decide how to contact each other. The interview with Wenders was conducted via email: we submitted a list of questions, which he answered at his leisure. My interview with you could take the same format, or I could possibly do a telephone interview.

I understand you must be very busy (most days I find something by you in my inbox!), so it would be extremely exciting for me, personally, to interview you.

Thanks for your time

Simon

___________________________________________________________ How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com