[lbo-talk] Galloway and Hitchens

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Fri May 20 08:25:23 PDT 2005

On 20/5/05 4:15 pm, "Michael Pugliese" <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been told by a friend of Hitchens that, "Wide Boy, " that was
> his retort back to GG, is Brit slang for gay.

Not in any circles I've ever moved in, and I've lived in the UK for most of my life -- and (more importantly) not according to either of the definitions offered by the invaluable Urban Dictionary:

1. wideboy

A guy about town. Someone who is a bit of ladies-man! Likes the party lifestyle! Into a few dodgy dealings but still is popular and trendy.

E.g. "He's a bit of a jack-the-lad, or a wideboy some mite say!"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wideboy&r=f

And

1. wide boy

Wide boy ususally refers to a working class male who lives in London, and who lives by their wits and wheeler dealings....

E.g. "That Terry Venables is such a wide boy"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wide+boy

But perhaps words have different meanings in the circle of Christopher Hitchens and his friends.

Chris