[lbo-talk] Galloway and Hitchens

Richard Harris rhh1 at clara.co.uk
Fri May 20 10:44:07 PDT 2005

From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>

> > I've been told by a friend of Hitchens that, "Wide Boy, " that was
> > his retort back to GG, is Brit slang for gay.

Hitchens should stick with terms that US viewers understand. He could, for instance, have called Galloway "SpongeBob SquarePants."

____________________________________________ I guess the remark was aimed at Galloway, not 'US viewers'.

By the way, don't assume Hitchens was gracious by design in his report in the London Daily Mirror. As the Mirror has been a leading anti-war paper, Hitch would have had no chance selling them an article that was anything but chirpily pleasant about the East End hero (hence 'wide boy', a working class lad who has done well in London - must be East London, the working class zone - but who is, under the appearance of respectability, not at all straightforward or legitimate in his dealings.

Richard