[lbo-talk] Clinton & Soc Sec (was Bush approval)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 20 11:26:15 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> >I realize we have very good reason to suspect that Clinton would
> >have made (or ultimately accepted) proposals compromising the
> >integrity of Social Security, but what *actual* sources do we have?
>
> Dean Baker told me it's widely known in DC that Clinton was on the
> verge of proposing some carve-out (rather than an add-on)
> arrangement. But I don't think there are any firmer sources than that.

Clinton called a conference of "experts" (in New Mexico I believe) to discuss what should be done about the crisis in Social Security. The WSJ wrote an editorial pointing out (exultantly) that Clinton had unleashed the issue and it was "out of his control" now. We had a discussion of it on this listserve (or on the old spoons marxist list if it was before the days of this listserve).

Carrol