[lbo-talk] Re: Revenge of George Lucas

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 18 18:38:05 PDT 2005

WARNING: Spoilers contained herein.

Well, I left work early to see "Revenge of the Sith." Being a completist and all that. Had to see what the hubbub was about. And I was shocked. RotS is a good movie, in fact a very good movie. And this is coming from me, who is not very amenable to sci-fi, male adventure movies.

It is also a terse political polemic -- one which I was surprised to encounter. The rabid right is correct to be upset -- Lucas lands quite a few blows. My audience (twenties and on up -- very diverse) cheered when Yoda blasted the Chancellor (soon to be Emperor) and I just wanted to say to them: "Guys that's Bush you are pulling against."

RotS also has a sense of movieness I never felt in Lucas before. Now I will admit that I am a long-term hater. He had never done anything that really grabbed me. But this one did. I even wanted to stay and see it a second time.

The integration of CGI effects was very good. The changing patterns and the relationships Lucas created were mesmerizing.

Also, I felt a true sense of loss/mourning as the Jedi were slaughtered. And despite the fact that I knew it had to happen!

Which brings me to my last point. I wonder how much of my pleasure dervied from the fact that I knew the other 5 films and knew exactly where this one had to go. Instead of reducing tension, it allowed me to luxuriate in what Lucas created. As the Jedi were killed and the Republic becomes an Empire, a palpable sense of loss felt I (oops, a little Yoda-speak slipped in there). Somehow, the fact that the ending was already known seemed to allow Lucas a freedom that resulted in his most accomplished film

All in all, a most satisfactory experience and one I did not at all expect. Who would have thought that a political movie would come disguised as a Hollywood blockbuster.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister