[lbo-talk] Vegetarians become part of the problem....

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat May 21 20:50:13 PDT 2005

On 5/21/05, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alarming new figures show that the destruction of the Amazon
> rainforest-the world's
> biggest tropical forest-has accelerated. Booming agriculture, especially
> soya growing,
> is one of the main culprits

The title of this seems misleading though. As someone who is emphatically not a vegetarian,I seem to remember that the overwhelming majority of soybeans grown are used as animal feed.

98% of soybean meal is used for animal feed. http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/SoybeansOilCrops/background.htm A small amount of soy is sold whole as nuts for human consumption, seed or other uses - I think about 5%. So 98%of 95% goes for animal feed.

A political argument could be made that SOME vegetarians are part of a completely unrelated political problem. But they certainly are not responsible for deforestation in Brazil to plant soybeans. -- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050521/b95a0b19/attachment.htm>