[lbo-talk] The STFU left

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Sun May 22 17:57:33 PDT 2005

Charles Brown:

> Speak of the devil. I open up my mailbox , and here's a creepy little
> redbaiting offlist post from yo boy.
>
> CB
>
> CB:
>
> He sends quite a bit of anti-c stuff to me offlist , too. He's a real
> redbaiter.

OK. Suppose you present us with the evidence, and let's have done with this interminable whining. What sentances specifically in the post by Stephen Schwartz below do you consider to be "anti-communist", and why? The problem, it seems to me, is that you largely equate the CPUSA and the former Soviet Union with "communism" while the past and present critics - social democrats, Trotskyists, independent Marxists, and anarchists - do not. That's a legitimate matter for debate on the left, even if today it no longer has the same urgency it once did. My own view is that the critics have often tended towards a Manichean rather a dialectical view of these (contradictory) institutions, which perhaps makes them guilty of exaggeration - but not of what used to commonly be called "class treason", the charge you're effectively levelling at MP and his ideological kin. This kind of anathema was frequently pronounced in the old CP's to stifle both outside critics and potential doubters in their own ranks - much as wild and baseless charges of "anti-semitism" serve the same purpose for Zionists today.

MG

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 7:33 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] The STFU left