[lbo-talk] Galloway, Creativity Gap

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 19:06:39 PDT 2005

>From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk>
>
>... Galloway's old Labour politics have been tried and found wanting years
>ago. They are no alternative in the here and now, just nostalgia for an
>English Jerusalem that never was.

Aha, if I'm not mistaken, James, your sympathy is for the prophet of an English Jerusalem that never will be: Mick Hume. I just ran across the following blog entry, which is identified as Hume's view of Galloway's Respect Party:

"Respect acts as a reminder of why I describe myself as 'on the left, but not of it'. It has been accused of flirting with the Islamic lobby in its campaign against the Iraq war, and it is noticeable that its manifesto commitment to defending civil liberties against the Government makes no mention of defending free speech against new Labour’s incitement to religious hatred laws. But even worse than that is Respect’s embrace of today’s fashionably backward Western prejudices, opposing everything from GM foods and nuclear power to more animal research and road building. As the Left turns into the enemy of progress and the embodiment of self-loathing, Respect sometimes sounds like the most conservative voice in this election — a pretty remarkable achievement, given who it is up against." <http://strange_stuff.blogspot.com/2005/04/mick-hume-on-respect.html>

As a public service, I note that anyone interested in joining Respect may do so online at www.respectcoalition.org or by calling 020 8980 3507.

Carl