[lbo-talk] On ad hominem

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun May 22 21:28:57 PDT 2005

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> I think the Right's cartoon political tactics have been quite
> effective. I can not look at a US flag without seeing some red faced,
> rightwing jerk spewing pure hate in a southern accent. To me, all the
> US government is populated by George Wallace clones. In my mind that
> is America, incarnate: snarling, vicious, stupid, and cruel. Wallace
> without his latter day redemption.

> The reason I think few establishment moderates and liberals see these
> turns in the cultural wars as a serious political threat is because
> they don't believe these ideological absurdities---even if they feel
> the weight of the attacks.

Wow, Chuck, your post has lots of stuff to chew on.

I have to agree with your take on the seriousness of the Right's current campaigns, be they the culture wars or outright class war attacks on working people. I still think that my assessment last year of the culture wars was more or less right, although now I can see that this crap has been revived over the past few years.

After hearing Thomas Frank speak last week and after dealing with counterprottesters today--including a young woman who launched a dozen eggs at our counter-recruitment protest--I see the seriousness of the political situation. My conclusion is that we need to launch something akin to war to combat the Right, but I fear that the liberals (especially Blues State liberals) don't understand that they need to fight instead of complaining.

I felt the weight of those attacks today in person. I mentioned the egg-thrower. I also had a heated exchange with a pro-America meathead. He yelled that we were unpatriotic and I yelled back that I hated patrotism and the USA. I also saw several cars with people who flipped us off. And tonight I was listening to a local radio station that had a special program featuring conservatives who want to control the courts.

If you can't convert these people, you will have to fight them or get them to withdraw from their war.

The right wing is very well organized. Here in Kansas you feel them constantly, although I truly think that most of my neighbors don't go in for this bullshit. But they have the numbers and the zealotry to be a huge problem.

Chuck0