[lbo-talk] Re: Galloway, Creativity Gap

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 02:27:37 PDT 2005

> > From: Gar Lipow <the.typo.boy at gmail.com>

> The details of the Britains religious hatred laws I
> don't know. Tend to be
> close to a freedom of speech absolutist, so I might
> well be against them.

The law regulates against incitement to religious hatred. It's as vague as that.

More here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3873323.stm

> But nuclear power - horribly overpriced way to
> produce electricity. Wind is
> cheaper per kilowatt hour. And the UK coast has
> plenty of wind, not mention
> some of your highland areas.

This is shaping up to be a major debate in UK politics. Wind power is a political no no in the UK. Liberal politicians tend to agree with it in the abstract whilst locally opposing it for reasons of political expedience. In general, residents of areas where wind farms are located object to the blot on the landscape that wind farms create (I tend to find them eerie, rather than ugly). Wind provides less than 1% of Britain's energy at the moment. The debate is not between wind and nuclear power. It a debate over how Britain should cut its fossil fuel omissions and how that energy gap should be filled. Nuclear is being promoted as a relatively cost-free way of filling that gap. Somewhat lost in the debate is the idea of energy conservation. FWIW, an environmentalist friend of mine tends to the view that nuclear is perhaps the least worst solution.

Simon

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - want a free and easy way to contact your friends online? http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com