[lbo-talk] Re: Anti-communism

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 07:54:53 PDT 2005

Well, it might be nostalgia and it might not be, but a 1999 poll showed that over half - 51% - considered the Brezhnev era as the golden age of modern Russia, against 10% who disagreed. But in the absence of being able to measure nostalgia ("Do you think your opinion of Brezhnev is coloured by nostalgia?"), we should try to outline some reasons why Brezhnev is so popular. Chris (I think) has already outlined Russia's lost superpower status as one of the reasons why Gorbachev is hated, but we can find some other reasons why Brezhnev is so popular.

Chris is right to say that people hardly worked in the Brezhnev era. It was an era of institutionalised slacking and institutionalised corruption (James Millar calls this the Soviet 'Little Deal': the acceptance of corruption in place of systemic reform). When Burlatsky suggested raising wages, he quotes Brezhnev as replying: "You don't know life. Nobody lives on just his wages. I remember how we used to load wagons – three sacks inside and one on the side." An incredible admission! Of course, the Brezhnev era is characterised by the continuation of the nomenklatura-only stores, but some Russians perceived a kind of egalitarianism in the fact that the one who queued longest was at the front of the queue for less available goods. People would slack off from work to do so ... All in all, it was a massive system of rule-breaking that everyone indulged in. It was a sort of carnivalesque atmosphere. Only in black and white and without the fun. No-one would claim that the Brezhnev era was a joy to live in (although Mark Sandle [I think] claims that it was the golden age of the USSR), but I don't think the Yeltsin era was an all-day party, either.

Simon

___________________________________________________________ How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com