[lbo-talk] Average hours, etc, was nostalgia

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue May 24 05:37:08 PDT 2005

Jim Heartfield writes:

> Joanna suggested that her fathers' era was something like a utopia
compared to
> the present. So I looked at the numbers and found that, on the average,
people
> worked shorter hours, their money went further (at least on basics) and
lived
> longer.

And as John pointed out, your contention that people now work "shorter hours" is misleading. The unit for the reproduction of labor power is the family, not the individual worker. Thirty or forty years ago the average family had to do less wage-work, total, to sustain itself than it does now. Even if the "average worker" works fewer hours, the average family is putting in more hours of wage-work because more members of the family are in the workforce.

It is not a slap at women in the workforce to point this out, by the way, in case anyone was going to take that route.