[lbo-talk] PBS' "American Experience" docu last night on the SLA

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:44:44 PDT 2005

Dennis Perrin

> Wasn't the SLA a cop/and or/FBI front?
>
> DP

To the best of my ability to research...

Yup... If I remember correctly "Cinque" had been a prison informer who was "organizing" prisoners.

The SLA left a trail of repression in their wake across the state of California.

When I arrived in this lovely town of(at the time) 20,000, the state had financed a tac squad and swat team because of SLA hysteria.

A county ballot initiative which I helped work on finally killed the program... and the money, cops and guns were used to create CNET(county narcotics enforcement task force)... Same cops, same AR-15s, which operated so stupidly, and arrogantly outside the law that when Terry Medina, Police Chief of Wastonville, saw "Cops... in Santa Cruz" air a segment on a pot raid by CNET, he pulled his officers out of the program immediately, and disciplined one or two of them.

Leigh