[lbo-talk] Re:"they" are behind everything

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue May 24 13:38:23 PDT 2005

http://www.sfbg.com/36/20/sla.html

Burying the '60s in the 'T' word: The SLA, political memory, and how the real story of the 1960s is falling victim to the war on terrorism. By J.H. Tompkins

The SLA was the hapless crew of self-styled revolutionaries that made headlines, if little sense, in the mid '70s. The group was foolish, pathologically self-important, arrogant for no reason, and terribly wrong – which is exactly what a lot of the East Bay's graying radicals told me last week. And the closer they once were to the SLA, the louder they said it.

The SLA invented a world of their own that, had it not collided with the real world, would have just been hilarious and surreal. It issued threats, orders, and edicts in a style that combined a Stalinist lack of humor and a Norma Desmond feel for life on Earth – and this was a group that paid attention to detail.

The SLA's legacy is nothing but trouble. In those days its members were too visible, too stupid, and after the Hearst kidnapping they attracted an army of government agents.