[lbo-talk] Re: Moyers: Take Public Broadcasting Back

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue May 24 20:52:07 PDT 2005

Later he had a segment on how the International Red Cross is part of an anti-American conspiracy. The Red fucking Cross. They're completely mad. Doug

I can see it. Didn't the International Red Cross petition the US military to visit Guantanamo and the prison camps in Iraq and Afghanistan?

The IRC are allowed humanitarian access to provide limited food, blankets, reading material, medicine and are also allowed to collect mail in the form of a postcard with the name of the prisoner and addressed to a family member, a foriegn government, or a UN international body in charge of stateless persons.

These are all highly dubious activities that smack of leftwing radicalism typical of the Geneva Conventions. Little wonder the State Dept, DoD, DoJ, and the Joint Chiefs have been circumspect. I believe the US did allow the US Red Cross a tour under armed supervision of the facilities and were allowed to view the prisoners but not communicate with them at Guantanamo. You have to understand these prisoners are far too dangerous to talk to or collect postcards from.

As a special favor, I believe the US government did give the US Red Cross some of the names of some of the prisoners who were citizens of trustworthy governments. That sounds fair to me.

CG