[lbo-talk] Democrats lost again

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 07:21:21 PDT 2005

Wojtek:

So the battle over judicial nomination is over without a single shot being fired.

Not only the Bush administration not got what it wanted, but the Democrats handed the victory without a fight.

And a momentous event it is. It makes the irrelevance of the Democratic party plainly visible. In the years to come, it will play the role of a minor opposition faction and a GOP junior partner for window dressing purposes, to maintain a democratic façade of the US state.

Yes.

The 'Memorandum of understanding' does seem to essentially be a hands in the air while frantically waving a white flag maneuver.

But I suppose a Dem theorist might describe it as a strategic retreat, a falling back for now until Dem majorities are regained and there's no need to worry about this current unpleasantness.

I'm curious to read what Nathan Newman thinks about this...if he's monitoring the lbotalk channel.

Now, as I understand things, a strategic retreat is one in which you withdraw, in an orderly way, to friendlier territory to regroup, defending your flanks with force as you do so to suppress enemy pursuit. For example, it now appears Iraqi fighters performed a strategic retreat from Fallujah last year.

The withdrawal part of the Dem compromise formula is clear to see but where's the defense?

.d.