[lbo-talk] Democrats lost again

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 25 09:24:54 PDT 2005

"Max B. Sawicky" wrote:

> Not quite nobody.

I noticed but thought attacks on the DP were as antiquated as fighting over Stalin. Those who were ABBs last fall or who still have lingering hopes for the DP can't be persuaded by argument but only by events (including the building [without them] of new mass movements). This event added nothing to what has been plain about the DP from the 1964 Convention on. Why chew over dead rats.

The most significant political fact of the last year was the triumph of pro-war anti-war forces (led by the UFPJ & other ABBs) over what left forces were in motion in the u.s. (I'm assuming that support of Kerry was materially speaking support of the war.) But the sectarians at UFPJ have been forced by the sectarians at ANSWER to call a demo on the same day, Sept. 24, in D.C. Because of the damage to the left which the ABB forces inflicted we may not be able to mount a very large September action, but the forced pseudo-cooperation of UFPJ and ANSWER provides at least a launching pad for rebuilding the left. We will see.

Carrol

Carrol