[lbo-talk] Democrats lost again

philion at stolaf.edu philion at stolaf.edu
Wed May 25 18:21:51 PDT 2005

That was my conclusion as well. This wasn't really about judges. We're going to get the same judges, more or less. It's about displacing Frist & Co. (and Bush) from being able to do whatever they like with 51 votes.

The centrists will try to drive big, bad economic policies like SS privatization, Medicare/Medicaid cuts, and block the looniest of the fundy initiatives.

mbs

--I agree with that. It is quite possible that the nuclear option woulda made it even more difficult for Bush to push through his social security agenda etc. Now all that waits is the 'moderation fever' to reach a new pitch and we've got ourselves SS privatization lite to look forward to.

Steve

Stephen Philion Assistant Professor, Dept. of Sociology St. Olaf College http://www.stolaf.edu/depts/sociology/People/faculty-staff/steve.html