[lbo-talk] NOT a post-mortem on the USSR: Nit-picking over Jews in Russia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 12:11:56 PDT 2005

--- amadeus amadeus <amadeus482000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And what about the J.A.R., Jewish Autonomous Region?

I don't really know a whole lot about this, but as far as I know it was an attempt to coopt Zionism. I have seen speculation that Stalin was planning to deport the Jews there in his last days, when he was really going loony with paranoia, but that may just be rumor. It's not the kind of place one wants to move to. There are almost no Jews living there, being 1,000 or so (I could look this up but am too lazy).

It's really interesting to see how the Karaite Jews got their deal with the Nazis. Since they supported the Whites by and large, many of them fled, some to Germany. When tha Nazis began to issue anti-Jewish legislation, the Karaites said "hold on there a second" and appealed to the government to get them exempted on the grounds that though they go to synagogue, they are ethnically Turks, not Jews. Hitler himself attended a meeting on this. There were Karaites in the SS, if you can imagine something so surreal.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!