[lbo-talk] Tampa Bay: hotbed of hate groups

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 26 14:36:05 PDT 2005

> I just heard on WMNF.org that PIE-nellas county has the most hate groups in
> FL. FL has, for its population, the most hate groups, according to this map
> of 2001.
>
> http://www.tolerance.org/maps/hate/index.html
>
> This particular map doesn't explain how PIEnellas co. has the most hate
> groups, so I don't know where this caller got the info.
>
> I'm wondering if Chip has more info. Also, I'd characterize this county has
> pretty PMC -- by contrast to, say, Lakeland and Central FL. Indeed, people
> on the coast tend to characterize themselves as progressives by comparison
> to the "rednecks" who, ostensibly, live in C. Florida -- the Bible Best
> runs mostly in C. FL.

Any explanations for why they locate where they do?

Why are St. Louis and Springfield home to more than KC?

Why the high number of Neo-Nazi groups in middle and upper Michigan?

Why more in Cincinnati than Indianapolis which has a Klan monument in the center of town?

Why are Kentucky and Indiana lower than the states that surround them? Same for New Mexico.

Obviously population has something to do with it but there are obviously other factors are at work. Is there a common thread that has been identified? This might go some way towards helping communities avoid the formation of influx of such groups? I didn't see any information like this on the SPLC site.

Aren't a great many of the coastal Florida residents transplants from elsewhere? When I go to Englewood Beach and Gasparilla Island it seems almost everyone there is from the Northeast. Insland at Acadia I meet lots more lifelong FL residents.

John Thornton