[lbo-talk] pot trial

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat May 28 15:02:32 PDT 2005

Jim Devine

> I'm not sure she would have gotten off more lightly if she had been
> tried in the US of A.
>
> [http://www.nationalledger.com/scribe/archives/2005/05/aussie_surfer_c.shtml]
>
> May 27, 2005
> Aussie Surfer Corby Sentenced To 20 Years

> The Indonesian embassy in Canberra has been bombarded with hate phone
> calls, and federal police upgraded the security there and at
> Indonesian missions nationally.
>
> JD

I've been watching this story since the arrest, including this info that would appear to indicate that her luggage might very well have been compromised.

Courtesy of HighBeam Research:

Camel costume prank sparks luggage handling probe at Australia's Qantas

Agence France Presse English

04-08-2005

Qantas launched an investigation of its luggage handling staff after a baggage handler was seen frolicking on the tarmac at Sydney airport in a camel costume taken from a passenger's bag.

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said a baggage handler had been suspended and would be dismissed if an investigation confirmed he was the culprit.

"What has happened is completely unacceptable," Dixon said in a statement, adding that "we still have some issues that need to be addressed on the behavioural front".

Passenger David Cox told the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper he was "gobsmacked" when he saw a Qantas staffer wearing his camel's head on the tarmac 20 minutes after he had checked it in as part of his luggage.

While he dismissed the prank as typical Australian high jinks, he said it lent credence to the claims of an Australian woman on trial in Indonesia for drugs charges that her baggage had been interfered with.

Shapelle Corby, 27, faces possible death by firing squad after being caught with 4.1 kilograms (nine pounds) of cannabis in her unlocked bodyboard bag at Bali's airport last October.

The Gold Coast beauty therapist has denied placing the drugs in her luggage.

Her legal team has produced a witness claiming Corby was unwittingly used as a courier by drug traffickers working with baggage handlers at airports in her home town of Gold Coast and Sydney. <...>