[lbo-talk] Nepalese proof of New Delhi-Maoist link

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat May 28 16:26:15 PDT 2005

HindustanTimes.com

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Nepalese proof of New Delhi-Maoist link

Keshav Pradhan

Kathmandu, May 20, 2005

In a development that may have adverse effect on Indo-Nepal ties, the Royal Nepalese Army on Friday made public an audiotape that it claimed contained disclosures by a top Maoist leader about his party's links with Indian authorities.

In a quick reaction, the Indian embassy said Nepalese authorities did not share the tape with their Indian counterparts before releasing it at a news conference. As on previous occasions, the RNA kept Hindustan Times out of the press meet.

The embassy said, "The government of India is not aware of this tape or of its provenance and authenticity since the Nepalese authorities have not shared it with us. From what has been reported, it is quite evident that the allegations against India are completely baseless." It recalled how India had been assisting the RNA in various ways to deal with the challenges posed by the Maoist insurgency.

Media personnel, who attended the conference, said the RNA identified the voice in the tape as that of underground Maoist chairman Pushpakamal Dahal. But it did not mention when and where Dahal's speech was recorded.

The voice in the tape talked about how India put pressure on the Maoist leadership for re-instatement of Baburam Bhattarai in the party. It said, "India said it would free politburo members Mohan Vaidya and CP Gajurel if we withdraw disciplinary action against Bhattarai." It claimed that New Delhi had invited Maoist leaders for talks in India but "we told them you come to our base for dialogue… we will give you security."

Observers described the RNA's action as a move to create a division among Maoists and defame India that has been pressing for restoration of democracy in Nepal. Bhattarai, who earlier headed the Maoists' parallel government, was recently stripped of his responsibilities after he fell out with Dahal.

Vaidya and Gajurel are currently in Siliguri and Chennai prisons.

© HT Media Ltd. 2005.