[lbo-talk] (no subject)

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sun May 29 14:53:56 PDT 2005

Michael Pugliese writes:
> Subtract the LePen fascists, and it would have gone the other way.

We will see the detailed breakdowns, but the polls have been consistent for weeks showing that the Non vote was overwhelmingly a vote *from the left*. It represents a major shift to the left and a left rejection of neo-liberalism. It *may* turn out to be the single biggest electoral defeat for current neo-liberalism so far. Even Chirac, in his concession speech, acknowledged that the vote reflects "discontent with the way globalization has been carried out".

Enjoy your victory.

Paul

[I pointed out to Michael (offlist, by accident) that the Le Pen phenomena is also a bit complicated since a certain part of his votes comes from working class ex-left voters who "fell back" upon popularist racism after the failures of the left in the 80's. Other parts of his vote come from the former Poujadist movement and will remain with Le Pen, but some might still be reachable by a progressive anti-liberalism movement. The Dutch vote in two days may be more mixed.]