[lbo-talk] Social Democracy

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun May 29 16:11:38 PDT 2005

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ideas?

Yes, it is definitely linked to the American belief in pulling yourself up by your bootstrap. Rooted in the story of immigrants who came here and did just that. 1973 is the right year and we can almost pin the cultural shift down to the moment in 1974 when the movie "Death Wish" appeared on the screen. I was only 14 at the time, but I can remember how certain whites, particularly middle-class ones, felt vindicated by that movie.

-Thomas

<<We are at such a point in mankind's evolution where changed conditions invalidate all our policies that have been so successful even in the recent past, and that presumably have constituted the ideal response to a presumably unchanging and unchangeable human condition. No wonder we are stupefied and confused-but our mistake is the same which many cultures have made before us, namely to force a rigid model upon a fluid reality.

Erich Jantsch - "Design for Evolution: Self-Organization and Planning in the Life of Human Systems"