[lbo-talk] Rushdie: Just give me that old-time atheism!

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 08:33:21 PDT 2005

the problem is that atheism is fallacious, based on faith that there are no god, goddess, gods, goddesses, or a combination of the above (i.e., no unseen forces that conciously shape reality). Instead, agnosticism is the way to go. We have to admit that it's only a working hypothesis that supernatural beings don't exist. It's a working hypothesis that's worked pretty well over the years.

And the atheism of the Young Hegelians (i.e., that ridding the world of religion would improve it markedly) should be rejected. The old guy thought that improving the world -- i.e., getting rid of capitalism and the like -- would undermine the need for religion. JD

> Toronto Star - May 23, 2005
>
> Just give me that old-time atheism!
> By Salman Rushdie

-- Jim Devine