[lbo-talk] Social Democracy

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 09:34:09 PDT 2005

> I'm not a cultural determinist. I think the popular
> culture has to be
> followed carefully and political possibilities
> weighed against it, but I
> don't believe there are inherent cultural attributes
> which congenitally
> prevent certain peoples from becoming conscious of
> their "downtrodden"
> condition where such is (or becomes) the case.

You can score cheap points or say something helpful. I am nor a cuktural determinist either. I also
> don't believe there are inherent cultural attributes
> which congenitally
> prevent certain peoples from becoming conscious of
> their "downtrodden." I do know that our message is
not getting across. I think there is something to my friend's idea that the us v. them message that so many of us, including me, instinctively want to use, won'ty why, and I am going to say this in capital letters, you can consider it a baloom that goes wqith everything I say or I can repeat it as often as necessary

NOT AS A MATTER OF UNCHANGEABLE CULTURE NECESSITY BUT IN THE PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER WHICH WE NOW OPERATE AND CAN EXPECT TO OPERATE FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE.

So, with taht caveat, what are your ideas? My thought, btw, was not that we are being held back by Horatio Alger myths or that we aren't plague with insecurities, but that the right has sold various version of the Some People Aee Better Than Others message that obviously does resonate with Americans

NOT AS A MATTER OF UNCHANGEABLE CULTURE NECESSITY BUT IN THE PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER WHICH WE NOW OPERATE AND CAN EXPECT TO OPERATE FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE,

so what message based in thew prevailing American value set that exists

NOT AS A MATTER OF UNCHANGEABLE CULTURE NECESSITY BUT IN THE PRESENT CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER WHICH WE NOW OPERATE AND CAN EXPECT TO OPERATE FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE

do people think we can formulate and present?

I don't normally quote Lenin, but he boiled down his sales point to three words: Bread, Land, and Peace.

What's our slogan?

jks