[lbo-talk] Social Democracy

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 31 03:15:17 PDT 2005

Justin advocated a set of social democratic goals which included:

National health insurance Genuinely adequate pension protection A shorter work week Higher wages (sorry, Mike B, we are talking realism here) Retirement at 60, not 67 or 70 Free or highly subsidized higher education Peaceful and respecful relations with the rest of the world A more progressive tax structure with fewer loopholes. A revitalized union movement Stronger environmental protection More public transportation A public school system that is equitable and effective **********************

These would all be nice victories for us in the class struggle over the social product of our collective labour. Our common dominators would lose so, au contraire, mon ami. Achievement of these goals would be a victory of the left over the right and to that, I say, "Hooray for our side!". May more class power be with us! And even though, Justin's laundry list doesn't include the abolition of the wage-system, I don't have any problem with his preliminary programme goals. I DO worry about the lack of power to change social relations to the degree which will be necessary to short circuit the catastrophes which will follow in the wake of continued global warming. I don't think that these catastrophes can be avoided as long as we allow our common dominators to rule.

The social product to the democratic control of the social producer, Mike B)

****************************************************************** "You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don't like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconsciously there are many people you hate."

"Consciously, sir, consciously," Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. "I hate them consciously." from CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal